Here's an email I sent to friends regarding IMSA 2010 which you may, or may not, find helpful......
Some of you may be poked from having trained/raced lots in the past few months. I strongly suggest you guys rest in December if you need it. You need to be fresh come January. Key points for the training ahead:
- consistency is key
- the structure is 2 hard wks; 1 easy wk (to absorb training and recharge batteries); repeat
- 3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs/1 brick. If you miss a session, don't stress and don't try catch up.
- SWIM:- always try smooth out your strokes. Breathing easy is priority number 1.
- BIKE:- no need to smash the bike. Just get used to riding long in the small and big blade.
- RUN:- 2 weekly club runs, one weekend long slow run. Some bricks. Easy peasy.
- intensity and speed not required. Rather be strong. IM is about who slows down the least.
- do core work once per week. Start easy, it can be a bit taxing.
Most of you are green berets so man up.
Let me know if you have any questions.