Racing for Province and Country

Here's a quick guide for your South African athletes out there if you ever decide you want to race for your province and country...

I race for Bedfordview Athletics, a local running club in Johannesburg. It is predominantly Comrades Marathon focused with a proclivity towards triathlon. In early February, I raced in team colours (Oxford and Cambridge blue kit below) and opted for the more gentlemanly distance of the Central Gauteng Olympic distance triathlon qualifier at Germiston lake. Proof of payment as a CGT member and managing a second age group place at the race, secured my slot for SA Champs held at East London on 17th March.

About 350 or so provincial athletes made their way from all over the country (refer to map above) to the Eastern Cape. Orient Beach in East London (aka Slummies) was the start of the 1.5k swim/40k bike/10k run race qualifier for the South African team.
Central Gauteng triathletes were well represented at the coastal race. The top eight from each age group qualify for the South African team taking part in the International Age Group World Championships to be held on 14th September in London, England.
First time my name has ever made the tarmac. Superb support from Natalie (the wife), Chantal, Michelle and Manuela.
I smashed the swim and exited in about 12th overall. The bike was fairly tough with rolling hills. I lost quite a few places as the long-femured athletes crushed me making me look like a cub scout delivering newspapers in the suburbs. The run was all guns blazing. Unfortunately my ammunition ran out and I hung on for dear life from about the 6k mark. I finished in 25th place and 5th in my age group.
Below are me and my mates. The Buhr twins and the kid photo bomber were the only non-Central Gautengers.
Steven and I, pictured below, make a toast to our qualifying for the South African team and we head off to London in September. A few of the boys have made themselves available for the team should slots be available. Below is our Ode to Cheers photo taken at Buccaneers post-event.
Cheers - where everybody knows your name.
On y va,
~RobbyRicc