Maxim(um)

Each month I add a quote to the whiteboard next to my desk. At the end of 2008 I looked up at the following quote from Immanuel Kant:

May you live your life as if the maxim of your actions were to become universal law.”

Makes my tummy all fuzzy and warm each time I read it. I leave the words up there for a month because it takes a while for the words, and ideas that flow from that, to sink in.

On Saturday morning, at 4.30am, I found myself looking up at the ceiling listening to the rain coming in. Although I could cycle through that (after cycling the Pyrenees, you realise that precipitation is just in the mind), I chose to sleep in. But I couldn't. My mind kept asking "What is everyone else doing?"

Now for a man who has no competitors but himself, this seemed a banal statement. For Peter Reid who I remember asking the question in "What it Takes", this may have been more relevant.
But for me it was a question which lead into a statement. A man is nothing if he does not live by his word. I had no reason to be in bed and the world would keep turning either way. But actions were required to confirm the promises made to myself. No more false statements or empty words. I sucked it up and headed to the kettle for my one and only cup of coffee for the day before getting onto the turbo trainer.
12 weeks to go before we get into the Nelson Mandela bay for the start of the Ironman swim. Everyday is an opportunity to prepare and get stronger for the task at hand.
By any means necessary,
~RobbyRicc

No comments:

Post a Comment